Sunday, May 13, 2012

Where's Waldo?

Waldo, Ohio, that is.

The boyfriend and I were out free-style pickin' yesterday. Yesterday was the perfect day for a drive. The sun was out, the temperature was moderate. We decided on a general route, a 2-mile hike to take halfway through the journey, put the dog in the back seat and headed out.

Our route was dictated by our lunch destination.

The sleepy little town of Waldo, Ohio is not much more than a spit in the road. It's located alongside what is considered the main north and south route running right through Columbus, Ohio--state route 23. Travel north out of Columbus, through the sprawling bedroom community of Delaware, Ohio, en route to Marion, and--if you blink you'll miss it--Waldo, Ohio lies between Delaware and Marion, Ohio.

Why Waldo, you ask?

Because if you Google Waldo, Ohio, the second thing that pops up is a review of Waldo's G&R Tavern, a humble little tavern, much like many other taverns in many other small towns in our state. Humble outside, humble and unassuming inside.

(buffetbuster photo)

One significant distinction puts this tavern on the map in Waldo, Ohio and is the reason for the food review on Roadfood.com that pops up when you google Waldo, Ohio.

The fried bologna sandwich.

Oh yes, you heard me. Fried Bologna Sandwich. And this is not the pathetic little fried bologna those of us who grew up in Ohio had to eat in our school cafeterias during the 60s and 70s. No, this is the G&R Tavern's house made bologna, sliced 3/4 inch thick, topped with cheese, sweet pickles, and onion.

So before I regale you with photos of all my great free-style pickin' finds yesterday, here's some mouthwatering pics of G&R Tavern's famous FRIED BOLOGNA SANDWICH.






Plus, fried pickles and fried cauliflower on the side. If you don't like deep fried sides, this may not be your kind of place. They also had some pretty hefty pieces of cream pie, but we'll have to do that another time. We were both completely stuffed once we devoured the sandwiches, the cauliflower, and the pickles.

Stay tuned for pics and tales of free-style pickin' in rural Ohio.

2 comments:

  1. Free-style pickin! I love it-my husband and I like to go "just lookin'" and see where we end up and what we find. It is so fun! I WANT to visit Waldo. Our middle son was CRAZY about Waldo when he was a kid, and I would love to have pics of this town to give him. The sandwich? I have loved me some fried bolognie (that's what we called it!) in my day. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining me, Susan! I could not believe how good this bologna sandwich was. And I am not a big fan of bologna, so that's a heck of an endorsement.

      Delete