Sunday, April 29, 2012

My place or yours?

It's amazing to me how much I don't know about myself even at this stage in life. Luckily, self-awareness is a life-long process and I'm determined to keep chipping away at the seemly underbelly of my own psyche regardless of how dirty my hands get in the process.

But one thing I kinda knew all along--the minute I started tagging along with my bf to estate sales and garage sales every weekend, I would begin to accumulate yet another pile of unfinished projects.

So here's what I've found in the last month or so . . .

I picked this piece up on the last day of a tag sale where everything was 50% off. I paid $5 for it.

It was originally built for record storage. The finish is terribly worn and probably wasn't high quality to begin with. But it's solid wood, it has lovely cut out detail on each side, and the front corners are fluted.

I'm thinking this will get upcycled into a lovely side table for your favorite reading nook. The slots will store books and magazines as easily as they once stored old vinyl.















I found this reproduction wash table at a garage sale. The young lady had put masking tape across the top of it and had scribbled "Antique Wash Stand $30" on the top of it. I explained to her that although it was probably mid-20th century, it was a reproduction, and not an antique. It had a really lousy stain and finish on it that had now been ruined with gum from the masking tape. But again, it is solid wood, including the drawer, and it could be upcycled into a lovely side table or small entryway table.

So I offered her $10 and she took it.


Then, I was walking my dog in the neighborhood and noticed this piece in an alley with a bunch of other crap all around it. Two men were cleaning out an apartment. It's solid maple, probably had a hutch attached to the top of it. It was missing one drawer handle.

I've already started working on it. I sanded the top down and a little bit on the front of the cabinet doors because they had scratches and I was afraid the paint wouldn't cover the scratches. Then I used a dark stain on the top and I'm going to try making my own chalk paint, so I'll keep you posted as this project progresses. It will make a great buffet once it's all painted, distressed, and waxed.


The big question is this, will I finish each piece and love it so much I have to make room for it in my own house? Or will I spend time lovingly refurbishing each piece so that I can give it away to someone I love and care about? Or, will I do the work and then sell it to somebody on Craigslist who might love it as much as I do?

We'll see . . .

I'm linking up to some pretty groovy parties:

11 comments:

  1. Thanks, Emily! I'll hop on over and check you out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're going to be having some fun! I recently picked up an old record storage cabinet, too, and I thought the same thing as you... great organizational storage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I'm doing the wash stand first, then I'll move on to the record cabinet.

      Delete
  3. Great pieces--I look forward to seeing the finished pieces. Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What awesome finds, Peg! I can't wait to see what you make of them! I found your blog via The Thrifty Groove and am now following you! Welcome to the blogging world! Please stop by bellanest.blogspot.com any time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visitng and becoming a follower, Holly! I just popped back from your blog. Love the audio! I'm your latest follower!

      Delete
  5. Hi Peg! These are some pretty awesome finds. I know what you mean about not finishing projects. I'm trying so hard to re-paint all my furniture pieces before summer ends. I still have 2 pieces to finish in my bedroom and then I can finally mark something off! lol I think whichever decision you make in the end will bring you joy! : ) Thanks for linking to Frugal Treasures Tuesday. Guess what, you've been featured!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for featuring me, Barbe! I grabbed your button and then shared my re-do of the wash stand over at your place! You are the best!

      Delete
  6. I could handle any one of those pieces! Well done, girl, well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sue. Stay tuned. The other two will get refurbished eventually. At least the wash stand is done. Plus now I have a desk and a bench to do and another shelf unit no one has seen yet. There just aren't enough hours . . . . well, you know the story. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete